Sunday 2 October 2016

Fox en France Ep.3: Boulevard of Broken English

Friday 30th

PANIQUE! I am immediately eating my words – never should I have sneered at the idea of pretending I only speak English. For the sake of their English skills, it was requested I tell the students I am completely unable to speak French, and it turns out that thinking that would be easy was a silly, silly mistake.

have you ever realised how weird the word "pigeonhole" is?
Do you know how hard it is to pretend you understand nothing going on around you, after years of French lessons telling you to listen and understand and reply? When a girl asked me, “You don’t even speak one word?” I laughed and said a tentative, “Bonjour” and she fell into fits of giggles, saying to her friends in French: “Oh she’s so cute! Oh it’s too cute! Listen to her saying ‘bonjour’!” as if I were back in Year 2 in my first French lesson. And I have to smile blankly and pretend I can’t hear a thing. 

Later, a boy said in French, “Can you understand what I’m saying?” and I had to bite my tongue to keep from replying. His friends laughed, saying, “She doesn’t understand French so you can’t ask her in French if she understands French, you idiot.” The pinnacle of banter. Not to mention the: “You can ask her some questions about herself and England.” The selection of questions was as follows:
  • -          “You like what star?” (Not the Kardashians) “Ian Somerhalder?” (Er, sure)
  • -          “You watch Game of Thrones?” (Sorry, no…)
  • -          “What music do you listen to?” (Anything... Probably more indie music than I naturally would because I do this thing called student radio? Because we have this playlist thing and oh my god there is way too much technical vocabulary in this answer so I’ll just say I like Beyoncé)
  • -          “What do you study at university?” (I can’t say French or they’ll realise I can speak it – instead I say English)
  • -          “So why are you in France?” (Very good question)

Very very hectic first day.

SO:
Clouds: I should have watched Game of Thrones, and I have no bowls in my cupboards.
Silver linings: The school food is incredible and I get it for cheaps, win.

Saturday 1st Oct
Celebratory croissant

NEVER in my life would I have thought that a slip of paper saying "attestation" could bring quite so much joy but such is French life - the magical signed form that lets me get a bank account. And a bank account means, admin-wise, that I can get wifi and a phone contract. I could have sworn angels appeared and started singing as the Headmaster's secretary handed me the file.

Navigation skills around town are improving a little. A.k.a I know where to buy bread (200m) and how to get to work (20m) so that's impressive from me.

First actual day working tomorrow...

SO:
Clouds: Still no oven, but you can’t have everything. I bid farewell to my father (sob, sob).

Silver linings: Temporary wifi situation SORTED, as well as a bank (Monsieur at the Bank you are the absolute dream & so helpful), and got bus tickets sorted for my induction day on Tuesday... Travel plans for October holidays may be underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment