Sunday 2 October 2016

Fox en France Ep 1: It's Brittany, bitch.

Right well, here I am, overtired and baffled, sitting along in a big, big flat somewhere in France. It is a ridiculously big flat and I’m still a bit confused as to if/where other flatmates might appear from but at least it’s very very nice and brand new. Clothes away, diffuser out (rooms that smell good are A*) and I even have a microwave (this morning I had pretty much zero furniture). I even have two irons and a big sofa, a desk in my room and lots of chairs. Lots of chairs. I hope I make some friends to sit in them or I’ll be going all Marius-in-Les-Mis (“Empty Chairs at Empty Tables”, for those less in the know).

I met some of the other English teaching staff today, and had lunch with them – they all seem lovely. Some are even kind enough to speak to me in English a bit. Nadine said she could drive me to the shops every week, so she’s currently top of the bae list. They have also told me I am not allowed to speak French to any of the students, nor tell them I can speak French at all (ha - oh no, how terribly difficult that will be). 

Meanwhile, others only spoke French to me and I actually kept up (surprised). They chatted a lot about previous-assistant-Brian, who was American. He, and I quote, “had a very kamikaze approach. Oh he was such good fun! Didn’t speak a word of French”. This means I have such a lot, but also so very little, to live up to there – so thank you, Elusive Brian.

They all admit that public transport is genuinely a bit of an issue here, but a lot of them commute to other towns so hopefully I can nab a few rides. There was a bit of grimacing when I said I didn’t have a car (great) so that bodes well.

So I am here. Bit scared but hopefully tomorrow’s big admin day will help sort my main questions (am I seriously living alone in an apartment that the Von Trapps could comfortably inhabit? Where’s that pesky oven at? Etc)

Bring on da cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment