Saturday 30 May 2015

"I Would Never Glitter You Without Your Consent."

... Not the sentence with which I thought my night would end, but life comes with some pretty brilliant twists and 21st May was just one of those days. I feel so proud. Leeds Uni has done it again and I am so happy to have been a part of it.




By "it", I mean birthed an incredible, unique idea. Today, along with hundreds of other women, I was a part of "Hype the Park, #BoogieNotBlame", a dance-march in the effort to "RECLAIM our streets, CHALLENGE the narrative that women are responsible for sexual assault, and EMPOWER ourselves through COLLECTIVE DISCOOOOO" (taken from the Facebook event - view here). The event came together in a startling two weeks, with the idea only taking form recently, after a number of sexual assaults having taken place around the area of Hyde Park, Leeds. It was created by Rosie Collingwood, and supported/collectively organised by ten others - all students or former students of the University of Leeds.


The march itself was "women and non-binary (trans*-inclusive) -only" - a fact which has, during the formation and development of the event, caused debates. Numerous people questioned the decision to exclude from the march those who identity as male, and while I can appreciate the reason for concern about this decision, I fully understand why it had to be women and non-binary (a person who does not fully identity with one or another gender) only. I do feel vulnerable walking alone late at night and that is, sadly, quite simply a feeling reserved solely for females; as the event goes on to say, "the discourse, ideas and beliefs surrounding sexual assault and staying safe are undoubtedly gendered". As I told the ITV camera man (yes, I made it onto local ITV news, no, I didn't know it was an ITV employee and so wasn't very eloquent), we needed to be proactive and this was the perfect, accessible, upbeat way in which to do it.

One of definite highlights was the "pre-party" held outside the union as marchers congregated: empowering and generally uplifting party music was blasted from the radio broadcasting balcony as the crowd gathered. I don't have much experience in anti-rape-culture marches, but I'd say some Beyoncé is a pretty good way to start one.


Frankly, I was shocked - and delighted to be so - as the numbers kept growing. I felt so proud that something so huge was an event at my own university, and that so many people - men and women alike - felt passionate enough to turn up. It was at this point that a tiny bit of adrenaline got to me (where have we heard that before?) and I started to sprinkle adequate amounts of gold glitter over myself - I never re-found the girl who gave it to me, so thank you, anonymous Glitter-Girl. 

The music kept blaring, and soon we were prepping to embark on a (slightly chilly, damp) march around Hyde Park, complete with a plethora of handmade signs and posters: from "Boogie not blame!", to "Together we are STRONG" and "We are family!". I was kindly given the latter as a momento. It's still randomly hanging around my flat, just so I don't forget that, you know, we are family.




The march commenced and we made a good (all-inclusive, steady!) pace around the park's perimeter. We attracted a lot of attention, most of it good. There were a few mocking (my imagination?) car horns though, all from male drivers, and it seemed a little ironic, but you cannot expect something to be perfectly received. 
...Just like the drunken pub-dweller in the banana costume: not well-received ("Actually, it's women only, so if you could just leave-" "BUT I'M A BANANA!"). As the march continued in its surround-sound disco glory, I was still holding the pot of glitter. It was getting tiresome. There was a lot left. So I tipped it ALL over my head. Regret to follow.

At the end, there was a lot of cheering, high spirits and lovely speeches of thanks for the event's creators - we even had a speaker from Leeds' Rape Crisis Centre (view here) SARSVL. An incredible culmination of brilliant causes to end the event, and the crowd finally started to disperse (to yet more BeyoncĂ©). I sprinkled the last magical millimeter of gold glitter on the union's steps, Hansel and Gretel style, making our mark... Albeit a tiny one. 

The march was a great idea - but what made it so brilliant was the sheer number of people who noticed how great it was, and got behind it. Yet another thing to add to my memorable set of First Year experiences - ones which I never would have seen coming.

Read The Gryphon's full article here, and see #BoogieNotBlame's Twitter page, for more pictures and praises of the event here.




The coat I was wearing at the time still sheds glitter every time I wear it, but for anyone worried by my glittery ways? As I told a fellow marcher asking for a glitter-sprinkle too... I would never glitter you without your consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment